Pineapple Casserole – Cheesy and Crunchy
Pineapple Casserole is my mother-in-laws specialty. She makes the tangy pineapple with cheddar cheese and buttery crunchy crackers taste like heaven. I have her secret recipe and I’m giving it to you! That means you are incredibly special. Hold it near and dear to your heart.
This dish has been called many things in the South including, but not limited to, baked pineapple or merely baked cheese and pineapple. You can prepare this without cheese, use different cheeses besides cheddar, use crushed pineapple and/or pineapple with chunks. Anything goes as long as you have a little flour for thickening, sugar for sweetness and to cut the tanginess a bit, and of course the ritz crackers!
Watch me make this casserole:
Topping Tip for Pineapple Casserole
Often people say to dab butter across the top of the crackers, but that doesn’t do for me. I want butter to coat every piece of cracker possible. The best way to do this is to melt butter and add crackers to the melted butter and mix with your hands until you are completely satisfied that they are completely coated.
All you have to do now is invite your favorite people to your table and enjoy this heavenly casserole! Serve this dish with a spiraled ham, the perfect turkey, potato salad, deviled eggs and/or any holiday meals!
Classic Pineapple Casserole
- 2 20 ounce cans crushed pineapples drained, but reserving 1/4 cup of juice)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 sleeves Ritz crackers
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix drained crushed pineapple, flour, sugar, cheese, and 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice.
- Lightly season a 9 x 9 casserole dish and pour mixture into the dish.
- In a medium bowl, crush crackers and mix with the melted butter. Sprinkle the crackers over the pineapple mixture.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crackers are golden. Serve immediately.