Lentil Soup with Venison and Sausage
Lentil Soup with Venison and Sausage would probably have been a “big time” favorite meal for Isaac of the Bible. Esau gave up his birthright to his brother Jacob over lintel soup and Isaac asked Esau to “take thy weapons, thy quiver, and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love….”. Love is a mighty powerful word. I understand this though. Venison is one of my most beloved food groups too! I am with Isaac!
Lentils are one of the oldest recorded meals dating back to ancient Babylon. This is a scrumptious one-pot meal that is healthy and extraordinarily packed with flavor. Lentils’ flavor is incredible, and they don’t need a lot of added salt like other beans do. Lentils are known to lower cholesterol, have a high fiber content, and keep blood sugar levels regulated. How can you go wrong?
I am always looking for full flavor, simple, quick ways to prepare a meal and this is a winner. I know this is a favorite in our house and I hope will become a favorite in your house as well!
Venison, Sausage, and Lentil Soup
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pound venison stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound nitrate-free link sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound of lentils
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups beef broth
- Heat butter in a large stockpot. Brown venison and sausage in batches and remove from the pot.
- Sauté onion, carrots, and bell pepper in the pan for about 4-5 minutes then add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add thyme, salt, pepper, cumin, lentils, water, and beef broth. Add the venison and sausage back to the pot. Bring mixture to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat to low. Cook for 1 hour or until lentils are cooked through. If soup becomes too dry, add a little extra water during the cooking process.
- Serve with your favorite crusty bread. Enjoy and Happy Cooking!