The power and versatility of lemons are amazing. You can clean your kitchen and bathroom with them, including oven, microwave, pots, and shower stalls. You can cook and preserve with them and make the most refreshing drinks. They also have healing properties, including aiding weight loss.
In most of these applications, it usually only takes a drop or two of lemon to do the trick. Now that’s powerful!
How do you use lemons for cleaning?
Cleaning with lemons is cheap, easy, and efficient.
- You can clean copper pots by dipping a half of a lemon in salt and rubbing to remove the stains.
- I often make a paste of lemon juice and baking soda to clean sinks, remove stains from countertops, and remove the scum from my stove top.
- Keep a spray bottle on hand with one part lemon juice to four parts water to clean showers, cabinets, and refrigerators.
- One of my favorite uses of used lemons is to place them in the garbage disposal and grind them for a few seconds. This removes the odors from the sink.
What are some ways to cook with lemons?
Lemons are a necessity in my cooking. I keep them on the counter for easy access because I use them in almost all of my dishes.
- My favorite thing about lemons is that they add brightness to almost any dish. Try it in main dishes, sides, and desserts for an extra burst of flavor.
- During the holiday season I cook tons of soups and stews. They are hearty and simple to prepare, leaving me more time to enjoy my family. Of course, salt is a necessity in these dishes, but there always seems to be something missing. Adding a drop of lemon juice never fails to brighten the flavor of the dish! Even an eighth of a teaspoon can go a long way.
- I can vegetables and meats quite often. Lemon juice provides necessary acid for preserving my canned goods.
- Lemons also act as a thickener for pies and soups because these fruits contain quite a bit of pectin.
Citrus for weight loss? Yes, and for all-around health.
Lemons are quite healthy fruits. Have you ever wondered why people tell you to drink hot lemon water with honey? Lemons contain vitamin C, which boosts the immune system. Many of my friends have chronic sore throats, and they benefit from drinking this “tincture” once a day.
By drinking a glass of lemon water, you may be able to drop a few pounds as well. Have you noticed that adding hot sauce to your dishes adds flavor and causes you to crave less food? Well, lemon juice has a similar effect. People that add lemon juice to their food and beverages are known to eat less than those who forego the lemon.
Lemons have been used throughout all generations for beautiful skin. They have a long history as a beauty remedy for fading blemishes and freckles–do you remember the Brady Bunch when Jan put lemons on her face to get rid of freckles?
Lemon also stars in many anti-aging treatments. Many chemical peels contain massive amounts of vitamin C combined with acid to remove dead skin and rejuvenate new skin cells. The combination of vitamin C and acid is exactly what makes up the powerhouse lemon! This is a much healthier natural alternative to harsh, chemical-filled peels and whatnot.
All in all, the uses of lemons are just about endless. Share your favorite lemon trick in the comments!