Garden Party/Skewered Wild Turkey with Chili Ginger Sauce
Wow! What a week! If you have ever given a wedding shower or wedding party you know what I mean. Spending time teaching the kids, and preparing for and writing the book last summer prohibited us from maintaining our home like we ordinarily would.
There was so much work to be done. My first thought was to hire outside help, but I would much rather pay the kids if they are willing to work and make the money. When they can make money, they are on board! The older two boys and Scott painted our cypress house, worked on our fountain, put fresh pine straw into our natural areas, among many other necessities.
My 10 year old landscaped an entire side of the house as well as cleaned the windows. The girls planted beautiful potted plants for the porches and touched up paint inside, cleaned baseboards, found “places for everything,” grocery shopped with me, and helped me cook all of the food for the party.
Although we couldn’t have done any more than we did in preparation, the morning of the party I still felt at least 3 days behind! Miraculously, the event went beautifully. My radiant niece brightened the entire party and it all went without a hitch. I could not of been happier. Our party menu consisted of new recipes that I wanted to test for my upcoming cookbook, and I want to share one of them with you. You MUST try it! These wild turkey skewers are addictive and magical! Turn your head and they disappear.
Garden Party/ Skewered Wild Turkey with Chili Ginger Dipping Sauce
Hint: add snow peas to the mix and serve over rice noodles with a few splashes of low sodium soy sauce and make this dish into a meal.
Asian Turkey Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 skinless boneless turkey breast
Chili Ginger Dip
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Tabasco to taste
- Cut turkey breast into 1 inch wide strips against the grain of the meat. Pound turkey to ¼ inch thickness. Cut pounded pieces into about 1½ inch by 5 inch strips.
- In a large bowl mix the dark sesame seed oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and soy sauce and pour over the turkey. Massage gently into meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Thread each piece of marinated turkey onto skewers. Heat griddle or grill until almost smoking. Cook turkey for about 3 minutes, turn over and cook for 2 more minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl combine ginger, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, lemon juice, sesame oil, chili paste, mayonnaise, and Tabasco. Mix well. Place dip in a serving bowl. Arrange with the skewers and enjoy!