Stacy Lyn Makes Farmer’s Style Chicken on Atlanta and Co.
Loved making The Farmer’s Style Chicken and Jalapeño Poppers on Atlanta & Company today! Christine Pullara, the host, is amazing. I got to talk about my new book, how to make two of my favorite recipes from the book, and spend time with amazing people. I even got to meet the guys from OolaLife! They have a new book out too!
Free Range Chickens tend to be a little more tough because they are allowed to forage for insects, and walk around using their muscles which result in more muscle fiber and connective tissue. A simple way to create tender meat with tons of flavor is to use a brine. It works every time!
The sauce that in which I simmer the meat is packed full of flavor. I use tomatoes, onions, garlic, rosemary, white wine (a chardonnay), a little broth, and thyme. You won’t know what happened when you taste this dish. Superb!
Chicken Farmer’s Style
- 1 cup Kosher salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 2 scallions , chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 quarts water
- 1 chicken , quartered and rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices pancetta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large carrots , cut into 1 inch lengths
- 3 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- 1 onion , diced to ¼ inch
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 stalk celery
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound whole Homemade Canned Tomatoes
- Or 15 oz. canned tomatoes
- Combine Kosher salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, scallions, garlic, and allspice in a saucepan. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Combine the cooled mixture with remaining water in pot big enough to hold the chicken and stir well. Add quartered chicken and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with towels. Season with pepper.
- Wrap each piece of quartered chicken in a slice of pancetta and secure with a toothpick. In skillet heat olive oil and butter over high heat. Add chicken and brown for about 10 minutes on each side. Do not crowd or they will not brown. Transfer to plate.
- Add carrots, garlic, onion, bay leaves, rosemary, and celery to pan and cook about 5 minutes. Add the wine and tomatoes. Crush the tomatoes as you place them in the pot. Add chicken and reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered for about 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Transfer chicken to a serving platter.
- Adjust seasoning. Add parsley. Pour sauce over meat. Serve with Garlic Mashed Potatoes.