Sugar Cookies from Scratch
Making these Sugar Cookies from scratch is so rewarding. This simple sugar cookie recipe is fun and easy, which means you can try it out with the kids! Homemade sugar cookies have been a family tradition of ours ever since my kids started babbling their first words. Actually, I think we were making these sugar cookies before the kids could even talk! That’s how easy they are. They’re perfect for making, freezing, and pulling out when unexpected guests visit. Try making them around Christmas, when the kids are home and you’re looking for fun ways to spend quality time with them!
Hint: If you leave these for Santa, he may just bring you extra presents! These are Santa Claus’s favorite cookies (or so I’ve heard)!!
- 3 cups all-purpouse flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until well combined. Add egg, milk, and vanilla to the sugar mixture and beat until well blended. Gradually add flour and mix until completely combined.
- Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop, scoop a ball of dough onto a piece of parchment paper placed on an ungreased cookie sheet. Place in the preheated oven for 8 minutes, or until the cookies are golden. Allow cookies to cool for about 2 minutes and remove to a cookie rack. When completely cooled, ice cookies or store them in an air-tight container for 7 to 10 days.