Fried Squash Recipe with Tomato and Pesto: Best Recipe Using Fresh Squash
This Fried Squash Recipe with Tomato and Pesto is a fantastic meal for those days your garden harvest is packed full of squash.
This is also a great dish when entertaining because you can prepare the pesto and tomato sauce in advance and refrigerate or freeze for later usage. This dish is amazingly impressive in appearance and taste!
Courtesy of Stacy Lyn’s Harvest Cookbook.
For more recipes like this, check out Meal Plan Monday!!
Fried Squash Recipe with Tomato and Pesto
Fried Squash with Tomato and Pesto
- 1 cup Basic Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Arugula or Basil Pesto
- 4 medium sized squash
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil , for frying
- 4 Tablespoons butter , for frying
- 2 tomatoes , sliced into ¼ inch slices
- Basil leaves , for garnishing
- Prepare tomato sauce and pesto
- Cut squash into ¼” slices lengthwise.
- On a large plate, mix flour, salt, and pepper. On a second plate beat eggs and water together. Place bread crumbs on a third plate. Coat squash slices into seasoned flour, then egg mixture, then bread crumbs.
- In a hot sauté pan, mix butter and oil. When sizzling, place coated slices in pan for about 2 to 3 minutes per side or until squash is tender. Cook in batches. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Place tablespoon of pesto in center of a plate and begin to layer fried squash, tomato sauce, tomato, and repeat beginning again with the pesto until you have at least 4 slices of squash. Garnish with a basil leaf.