Bourbon Pecan Pie and Southern Spice Pie
My Southern Spice Pie is an Alabama version of Shoofly pie.
The Shoofly pie was created by the Pennsylvania Dutch for breakfast to be paired with strong coffee. Funny, I actually ate a piece of my Alabama Southern Spice Pie this morning with my coffee without even knowing I was supposed to.
In using both kinds of Alabama based Alaga Syrup, the pie is much more light than the shoofly pie which uses molasses. Yellow Label (a light corn syrup) and the Original (Cane Syrup) used in this recipe make for the perfect texture and flavor, pairing perfectly with the nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger spices. The Cane flavor makes this recipe pop!
This truly is a holiday pie! You get the best of all worlds with a chess pie filling and a cake-like crumble on the top. I hope this pie becomes a staple in your home as it is here in mine!
Click here for my No-Fail Homemade Pie Crust recipe.
I love serving this pie with whipped cream or ice cream.
Southern Spice Pie
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Alaga Syrup
- 1/2 cup Alaga Yellow Label
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse brown sugar, flour, butter, ground cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and salt until crumbly.
- In a medium bowl, stir together boiling water and baking soda and allow to stand for 1 minute. In another bowl, stir together both syrups, vanilla, and the egg. Pour egg mixture into the baking soda and water.
- Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the bottom of the crust. Pour syrup mixture over the flour mixture. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the filling.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack allowing it to completely. Serve with whipped cream.