This post is sponsored by US Farm-Raised Catfish. You can find the original recipe for Catfish Piccata on their website. Thank you to the folks over at US Farm-Raised Catfish for this opportunity and letting me use their delicious product to bring this amazing recipe to life!!
When most people think of catfish, they probably think of deep-fried fillets and french fries. That’s how most of us are first introduced to catfish, especially in the South. But catfish is actually very versatile in the sense that you can prepare it any way you like! It’s time to start thinking outside of the box with this wonderful fish, which is why I tried making this Catfish Piccata with Collard Greens and Capers!
There are numerous benefits to eating US Farm-Raised Catfish. According to their website, US catfish farmers have very strict standards for controlling the quality of their product. It’s extremely important to them that the fish are healthy, humanely treated, and ultimately tasty. As it says on the website, you can feel good about eating US Farm-Raised Catfish.
The piccata turned out great! I love the zesty, refreshing taste of the sauce, and pan frying the catfish brought out a whole different side of the fish I had never even tasted before! I have a whole new appreciation for catfish now, and it’s the same with my whole family! As you can guess, my husband Scott, the fish-lover, went head-over-heels for this recipe. He kept bringing it up to all of our guests over the holidays! At least I know what I’ll be making for our next get-together now.
If you want to see my cooking in action, I have a video of myself making this catfish piccata over on my Instagram. Make sure to follow me if you aren’t already! My Instagram name is @stacylynharris.
Thinking outside of the box is a “recipe” for success in the kitchen! Just because a particular meat is traditionally prepared one way, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try out something different! That’s what this experiment with the catfish taught me. And I sure picked a wonderful recipe to try it with!
US Farm-Raised Catfish Piccata
- 4 US Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1/2 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine egg and milk in a small shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Place the panko breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Dip catfish fillet in flour mixture, then egg wash, then panko. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turn over, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining fillets.
- Add garlic to hot pan, and sauté for 30 seconds. Add white wine and simmer for 3 minutes. Add lemon juice, zest, and capers; simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; whisk in cold butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with parsley. Spoon over fillets.