Gremolata is the perfect accompaniment for this roasted chicken and sausage recipe. The zesty, bright condiment lends a ton of flavor and cheeriness to the roasted meats. This flavorful dish, layered with the comforting textures of chicken, sausage, and potatoes, is perfect for people that are sick, new moms, and finicky kids. And adults for that matter!
This year will go down in infamy in Alabama for the destruction wreaked by the tornadoes in Lee County. My heart truly aches for all those people, many of them people I know in my personal life. I’ve heard from so many friends who lost their homes, cars, and way more than just their personal possessions in the past week. So many lives here have been forever changed by these storms. Though it may not feel like much, a warm meal to those that may no longer have an oven, or those who are too sick to cook, really means a lot.
Watch Me Make Roasted Chicken and Sausage with Gremolata
Crispy potatoes, flavorful fresh chicken and gremolata…who could ask for more? The gremolata is easy to make with lemon zest, parsley, and garlic.
You can get a feel for how easy this recipe is by watching me make it!
Roasted Chicken and Sausage with Gremolata
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 lemons
- 1 roasting chicken (4-5 pounds)
- 1 bunch fresh flat leaf parsley chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole head garlic separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 pound Kielbasa sausage
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium stock pot of boiling water, place two lemons and the potatoes and boil for 7 minutes. Drain the potatoes and allow them to dry. Slice the lemons in half. Stuff the chicken with the lemons and 1/2 cup of parsley. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a small roasting pan (11 x 14-inches), toss with a little olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper. Add all but 3 cloves of garlic evenly throughout the potatoes.
- Pat the outside of the chicken dry, coat with olive oil, and liberally season with salt and pepper. Place chicken on top of the potatoes. Slice the Kielbasa sausages at an angle about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle the sliced sausage and 1/4 cup of the parsley over the top of the chicken and potatoes. Roast in the preheated oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the gremolata. Zest the remaining two lemons and chop th zest, remaining parsley, remaining 3 cloves of garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160 degrees, remove the chicken from the oven and set aside. Shake the potatoes around and place back into the oven for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until the potatoes are slightly golden and crunchy on the outside. Remove the potatoes from the oven.
- Divide the carved chicken and potatoes among 8 to 10 plates. Sprinkle the gremolata over the top of the chicken and potatoes on each dish. Serve with salad and crusty bread.