We love our sauces here at the Harris household and stacylynharris.com. Sauces play a vital role in bringing a dish its flavor—oftentimes, in fact, they are the star of the dish.
This Creamy Comeback Sauce is no different. I am not kidding when I say this sauce is so good, I wouldn’t look down on anyone for eating it with a spoon.
It’s creamy and tangy—perfect on just about anything. For my money, my Crab Cakes are the perfect vehicle for getting this creamy goodness into your mouth. I know, I know—the crab cakes should be front and center, with the comeback sauce taking a back seat. But I can’t help talking this sauce up—it’s just that good.
I must say, one of the best tricks to the famous comeback sauce is my trusty Weston Blender. I truly love this blender. Yes, they are sponsoring this post, but this is my honest opinion. So, I’ve had a lot of blenders as a cook and this one is the real deal. I’ve made the creamiest soups and the smoothest smoothies with this blender. I’ve even ground cornmeal in this baby! It’s amazing.
What’s in Creamy Comeback Sauce?
As far as the actual ingredients, the capers in this recipe makes the comeback sauce stand out. There’s a very earthy flavor to capers that you really can’t find anywhere else. Don’t get me wrong, you can just use pickles, but capers give it that extra oomph. Capers are actually pickled flower buds that have been dried in the sun. They are quite pungent and salty, but I think that’s what I love about them.
Horseradish is my second favorite ingredient in this sauce. It’s super subtle, but the sauce definitely becomes more complex with the addition of horseradish. It has that peppery, spicy flavor that sets it apart from any other spice or root.
Now, this is going to surprise you, but the next ingredient I want to highlight is a key component to this sauce. It seems like a background kind of ingredient, but without it, your sauce just won’t be the same. People underestimate the power of celery. Yes, the celery. It makes a huge difference. Celery adds that fresh flavor, like grass and nuts. It’s necessary in the pungent comeback sauce to even out the flavor. It just makes it work.
The recipe is super simple! It won’t take much time, but it will definitely pack the flavor punch to bring out the best in your dishes.
Creamy Comeback Sauce
- Weston Blender
- 1 cup mayonnaise homemade or Duke's
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 3 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1 tablespoon dill pickles or relish chopped
- 1 small lemon juice and zest from half the lemon
- 3 tablespoons parsley roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients and pulse until mixture is smooth. If you more texture to the sauce, only pulse until incorporated.
- Refrigerate for up to a week in an airtight container. In my opinion, it is better a day or two after you make it. The ingredients will have more time to blend together.