Mouthwatering Ultimate Tuna Melt
This Ultimate Tuna Melt is one of the very best sandwiches I have ever had. I know what you’re thinking—how can canned tuna really be all that? This tuna mixture with gruyere and cheddar on top of homemade sourdough bread is almost too good to be legal.
A few times a year, I clean out my pantry by intentionally skipping the grocery store trip for a few weeks. It challenges me to create new innovative recipes and ensures that I don’t let any of my pantry items go bad.
Of course, you can use this recipe with fresh tuna or even salmon if you have any on hand. I’ve even made this with leftover snapper!
By the way, the health benefits of this meal are extraordinary! Tuna Melts are a great way of getting the Omega 3 fatty acids you need in your diet along with calcium, and vitamin D.
A Few Tips for Making the Ultimate Tuna Melt
- Use butter instead of oil to brown the sandwich. It adds more flavor.
- If the tuna mixture tastes bland, add more acid instead of salt.
- Make sure the celery and onion are finely chopped, almost minced, to add flavor and not get huge chunks of any one thing.
- When in doubt, add more mustard.
Ultimate Tuna Melt
- 4 5-ounce cans tuna fish drained
- 1/2 cup Dukes or Hellman's mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup dill pickles finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 4 slices gruyere cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 8 pieces cooked bacon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- In a medium bowl, mix tuna with mayonnaise, pickles, celery, onions, mustard, salt, red pepper flakes and the juice of 1/2 lemon and mix until well incorporated.
- In a cast iron skillet, melt a tablespoon of butter ver medium heat. Add 2 slices of bread to the skillet. Layer tuna mixture, a slice of gruyere and cheddar, bacon, and top with bread slices. Once cheese begins to melt, carefully turn the sandwiches over and heat on the other side for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted and the sandwich is golden brown. Add more butter to the skillet and repeat with the other remaining bread and mixture.
- Serve warm with grapes and a salad.