Moroccan Venison Stew
The spices in this Moroccan Venison Stew, with the unique texture of the chickpeas, make for an exciting and surprising soup. I love to have this next to the fire on cold nights after a long day.
- 1 lb. venison, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pint Homemade Canned Tomatoes (p. 154) or 15 oz. can
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup red kidney beans
- ½ cup chickpeas
- 2½ cups water
- ½ cup onions, diced
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lemon slices
- Heat the butter in a large stockpot. Brown venison and onions for 5 minutes.
- Quarter the tomatoes and add to the venison. Add the water, cilantro, parsley, beans, turmeric, and cinnamon.
- Add red kidney beans and chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1½ hours. Garnish with cilantro and lemon slices.