I’m a big fan of cucumbers. Every garden and kitchen should be overflowing with them! They are extremely easy to grow (especially on a garden trellis) and make the best additions to salads and sandwiches. There’s always a period of time every year when I can’t wait for my cucumbers to come in so I can make this amazing cucumber salad.
There are some folks who don’t like cucumbers. I can’t understand that, but I have recently learned about a certain chemical, phenylthiocarbimide (PTC), that can affect how you perceive the taste of this fruit. Most people reportedly can’t taste it at all… but for some people it tastes bitter. How tragic!
Since I adore cucumbers, I have developed a lot of summer recipes around this amazing fruit. It’s also great to know that there are crazy health benefits from eating cucumbers.
6 Benefits of Eating Cucumbers
- Lowers Blood Pressure. A diet that features cucumbers can lead to lower blood pressure, which puts you at less risk for strokes and cardiovascular disease.
- Reduces Chance For Brain Related Diseases. For those at risk for Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, or many other neurological diseases, cucumbers might be a life-saver. Fisetin, an anti-inflammatory substance that lowers the risk of developing such conditions, is found in cucumbers, along with strawberries and grapes.
- Fights Inflammation. Since fisetin has anti-inflammatory properties, it can help reduce pain. Traditionally, this plant has been used as part of headache treatments, as a diuretic, and even as an anti-acne medication.
- Fights Cancer. Cucumbers contain many active substances that reduce the risk for cancer by lowering the inflammatory response of the body. Some of these substances are cucurbitacins, which have been shown to block cancer cell development.
- Hydrates the Body. Hydration is one of the most important health practices. Your body needs to be hydrated in order to regulate its daily functions. It can help reduce bad breath and prevents constipation. Just having one large cucumber will give you 1/4 of your daily allowance of water intake.
- Anti-Aging Effects. They remove immediate inflammation and have proven effective in anti-wrinkle products. You’ve probably noticed that many spa treatments involve cucumbers; they really work!
WHY NOT PUT THEM IN EVERYTHING? MEDICINE HAS NEVER TASTED SO GOOD! Really though, every year I look forward to harvesting my cucumbers. And once they’re in, I get right to making my one of my favorite quick salad recipes. This cucumber salad is one of the highlights of the summer.
- 4 cucumbers diced
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups tomatoes diced
- 1 large squash
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- In a medium salad bowl, mix vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Peel cucumbers and trim the ends. Cut cucumbers lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Dice and place in the vinegar mixture.
- Add diced tomatoes, squash, and onions, then place them in the bowl with cucumbers. Add basil and mix well.