Does it get any better than a healthy dessert? I don’t think so, especially if that dessert is also gorgeous enough to be served at elegant events to rave reviews. This Berry Parfait definitely fits the bill. Featuring a healthy mix of granola, berries, and yogurt, it also doubles as the perfect light breakfast on mornings where you want to squeeze in a good workout. It’s the perfect quick source of “pick-me-up” energy!
It’s really not difficult to make your own granola for this healthy treat. The basic ingredients are oatmeal, shredded coconut, almonds, and pecans. You simply mix the ingredients with melted butter, spread onto a sheet pan (cookie sheet), and bake for 10 minutes. Then flip the granola mixture and bake for another 10 minutes until golden. Loosen the granola and let it cool.
While the granola is cooling, you can start preparing your parfait glasses with the first layer of fruit: I use sliced strawberries as well as blueberries.
Then you simply build your berry parfait treats layer by layer in the glasses: a layer of yogurt, a layer of granola, and then another layer of fruit, etc. After the last layer of granola, drizzle on the honey.
For a sumptuous light breakfast, you can serve this parfait with mixed berry muffins with lemon-sugar topping.
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/2 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup almonds sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 10 strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 cups honey flavored Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix oatmeal, coconut, almonds, and pecans with the butter until well-incorporated. Pour onto a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan and turn mixture. Place granola back into oven and bake for 10 more minutes, or until golden brown. Loosen granola from the pan with a wooden spoon. Set aside and let cool.
- Slice strawberries. Divide 1/8 of the strawberries and blueberries among 4 tall glasses. Divide 1/8 of the yogurt among the glasses. Divide 1/8 of the granola among the glasses. Repeat with another layer of fruit, yogurt, and ending with granola. Drizzle honey over the granola and serve.