The thing I love most about this recipe is that is chock full of healthy ingredients - fresh vegetables along with the protein and calcium added from the stretchy gooey mozzarella and salty creamy ricotta cheese. Yes, it's healthy and delicious... but to add to that, it's easy!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , plus more for sautéing
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano , chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt fresh thyme , chopped
- ½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 medium eggplant
- 1 pint (2 cups) drained crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese , shredded
- Fresh basil , for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice eggplant into 1/8 inch slices using a very sharp knife or mandolin.
In a large bowl mix olive oil, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Toss eggplant in mixture.
Heat a nonstick sauté pan over high heat. When oil is simmering place eggplant and sauté until pliable.
Spoon about ½ cup tomato sauce on bottom of 9x11 baking dish. Place a layer of eggplant then more tomato sauce. Dollop ricotta and pesto using about 1/3 of each ingredient. Add another layer of eggplant slices and repeat twice more with the tomato, ricotta, and pesto. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.